Friday, November 13, 2015

A Sneak Peek Into Reader's Workshop


 Mini Lesson
Reader's Workshop begins with a short mini lesson at the rug.  This particular lesson was about making predictions when reading.  I told the children that making predictions is one strategy good readers use to help them to better understand the story. 


Guided Practice
Next we read a portion of the book Roller Coaster by By Marla Frazee


Click the link below to hear the story being read aloud:

We made predictions about the story based on the title and front cover.  Then as I read we stopped to make more predictions.


Read to Self
During this time students are engaged in self-selected texts at their independent level.  They use his time to practice the skills that are taught during mini lessons and guided reading groups.

Guided Reading
I meet with groups of students who are all reading at the same level.  I provide them with a common text at their instructional level.  I introduce the book, point out important text features, challenging vocabulary, and/or essential story elements.  I listen to students as they "whisper read".  The lesson is followed up with a lesson point.  



Raz-Kids


Read to Someone
Once the children have had an opportunity to read to themselves they can choose to read with a friend.



Share
Reader's Workshop always ends with a sharing time.  Children can share reading strategies they incorporated during guided reading, read to self, read to someone, listening to reading, and Raz-Kids.

Victoria shares a prediction she made while reading.



Liam shares a word he got stuck on and the strategy he used to help him:  tapping out the word.


Jack shares a reading strategy he used as well. When decoding the word splat, he first found a chunk of the word he knew (at).  Then he tapped out the consonant blend (spl).



I am really hoping that your children are incorporating strategies introduced at school when reading at home. The following are some of the strategies learned to date.

To improve accuracy: 
    Use the pictures
    Tap out the sounds
     Look for chunks in the word that you know
     Skip the word and come back
     Flip the vowel sound (for example if your child sounds out the word kind with a short i and it doesn't make sense, flip the vowel sound to long i)
      Go back and reread
      Think, does it make sense?

To improve comprehension:
     Make predictions
     Make connections

To expand vocabulary:
     Pay attention to interesting words

To improve fluency:
     Pay attention to punctuation

                                         


Please help your child leave a comment below indicating at least one reading strategy they have used when reading at home. Scroll to the bottom of the post.  If you are the first person commenting click No Comments.  Help your child enter his/her comment.  I am encouraging them to write it in letter form:

Dear Mrs. Hancock,
When I was reading Silly Sally, I made a prediction about how Sally would get to town.  
From,
John

Finally, click Name on the scroll down bar after Comment As.  Have your child add his/her name and publish.  The comment will not appear until I approve it.  

We will be reading the comments next week.  Thank you for your cooperation with this. 

Happy Reading!


Common Core Standard - Reading Foundational Skills 1.3
Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.


free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com


24 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Hancock,
    I was reading Tinkerbell, and I got stuck on the word "pumpkin." I "chunked" the word. I knew "pump" and sounded out the rest.
    From,
    Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs. Hancock,

    When I was reading "In" I got stuck on the word "wagon" and I used the picture to figure it out.

    From,
    Liam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Liam,
      Fantastic job using the pictures to help you with the word wagon! It's a really helpful strategy!
      Mrs. Hancock

      Delete
  3. Dear Dylan,
    Great job using your reading strategies! You should be excited that you can figure out so many words by yourself!
    Mrs. Hancock

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mrs. Hancock,
    I tap out words that are hard to read.
    From,
    Christian W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Christian W.,
    I'm so happy you are using this strategy. Miss Peterson will be pleased since she has been teaching most of the Fundations lessons. :)
    Mrs. Hancock

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mrs. Hancock,
    When reading Frozen I predicted that Marshmallow would be on the next page and Elsa would sing Let it go.
    From
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Victoria,
    You are so good about making predictions when you read. That's what good readers do!
    From,
    Mrs. Hancock

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mrs. Hancock,
    When I read the "New England Patriots" book, I asked my mom what the "index" was. I learned it was at the end of the book and would help me learn more about the team.
    Thank you,
    Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Griffin,
    Good readers ask questions! Great job! We will be learning more about indexes soon.
    From,
    Mrs. Hancock

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mrs. Hancock,
    I read a Patriots book. I got stuck on the word "professional", so I chunked it.

    From,
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Thomas,
      I am not surprised you were reading about the Patriots! :) Great job looking for chunks you know in the word!
      From,
      Mrs. Hancock

      Delete
  11. Dear Mrs. Hancock,

    When I was reading The Book With No Pictures there was some interesting words like "preposterous" and other long words that made silly sounds when trying to sound them out.

    from Bella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bella,
      Excellent job finding interesting words and asking what they mean. That is how good readers expand their vocabulary!
      From,
      Mrs. Hancock

      Delete
  12. Dear Mrs. Hancock,

    When I'm stuck on a word, I look at the pictures and they help me figure them out.

    From,
    Jackson G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jack,
      You are really good at using the reading strategies we have learned. Keep up the good work!
      From,
      Mrs. Hancock

      Delete
  13. Dear Mrs. Hancock,
    I was reading "Pete the Cat and the Bad Banana". I tapped out the word "plums" because I got stuck. I made a prediction when I was listening to Mom read "A to Z Mysteries The Orange Outlaw" about who stole a painting but I had to wait to the end of the story to see if I was right!

    From,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sam,
      As you know, I love Pete the Cat! Good readers make predictions to help them comprehend (understand) the story. Keep up the good work!
      From,
      Mrs. Hancock

      Delete
  14. Dear. Mrs. Hancock,

    When I was reading Creepy Crawly Birthday to my Meme, I used Get Your Tongue Ready to sound out words.

    From,

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear J.J.,
      Aren't you lucky to be able to read to your Meme. I'm happy you are practicing your reading strategies at home!
      From,
      Mrs. Hancock

      Delete
  15. Dear Mrs. Hancock,
    When I was reading Notebook of Doom, I predicted the Balloon Goons would be fiction, but they were real!
    From, Lucas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Lucas,
    It's good to make predictions, even if they end up being wrong. You are going to have to bring this book to school. I'm really curious to see what these Balloon Goons look like!
    From,
    Mrs. Hancock

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Mrs Hancock
    I thought on the next Bell and the Beast were going to kiss but they did not.
    But they were dansing.
    From,
    Rilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rilyn,
      I'm happy you're making predictions while reading at home. Keep up the good work!
      From,
      Mrs. Hancock

      Delete